Author Topic: concern about PIB skeleton  (Read 282 times)

Offline odc061210

• Tourist
concern about PIB skeleton
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:46:26 AM »
One of the problems I most want to avoid by my "doll selection decision" is failure of the doll's skeleton.  I have been seriously considering buying a PIB.  There was a recent discussion on "one of The other Doll Fora" about the PIB skeleton.  The OP suggested that PIBs have wire joints and pointed out that almost any wire subjected to repeated bending will simply .... break.  That discussion was locked so it will not be easy (or possible?) to ask follow up questions at the forum where the topic was previously discussed.  Are there PIB owners on this forum who can share information about their dolls with respect to:
- what they know about the construction of the skeleton and
- what their experiences have been with durability and necessary repairs?
I know I can contact Patrick directly but I am posting here to find out as much as I can about doll owners' experiences.

Offline coralsheep91

• Tourist
  • Oldie But Goodie
Re: concern about PIB skeleton
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »
I have seen several post on this and they were shut down pretty quickly.  There appears to be a don't ask don't tell thing about this....

I saw a thread over at TDF last year or maybe the year before about a problem a PIB owner was having with the skeleton.

He even posted some pictures of the part of the skeleton he was having problems with.  He was quickly shouted down and all but called a liar and that the pictures were fake.

At that time,  I knew nothing about PIB dolls other than I wanted one.

I now have a PIB and have the same problem he had and know now the pictures he posted were not fake and he was shouted down and had his thread locked for telling the truth.....

I have spoken with Patrick and he has tried to help me with the repair but, it is a very difficult repair due to the design of the skeleton, my lack of skill or maybe a little of both.

Not long ago there was a thread at one of the doll forums about the new spinner doll PIB has now.

This little doll is a knock out and I would really like to own one but, not if the skeleton has not been Improved.

Patrick had be answering questions about the new doll so I ask if she had the same skeleton or had it been Improved?

My question has went unanswered for several weeks.....

I do not mean to throw PIB under the bus, far from it.  I have called PIB twice and Patrick spoke with me both times.  I purchased my PIB second hand so I do not feel he owes me anything but, he treated me like I had purchased the doll new.  He answered all my questions and even sent parts to try and repair my doll at no charge.

Patrick is good people and I will not bad mouth him but, I hope the skeleton has been Improved in the new doll.  My doll is a older Bathing Beauty and I think she is a work of art.

I would never start a thread about the PIB skeleton but when I saw it here,  I felt compelled to reply.

I do not want this to turn into a bash PIB thread so please keep this in mind with replies and lets please be civil.....

Coral

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:46:23 PM by coralsheep91 »

Offline odc061210

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
Hi coral

Thanks for replying.  But you may regret it because I'm going to load you up with questions ...

What is this 'same' problem you are having?  Have you been "inside" your doll to look at the problem? What joints or "bones" are affected? Are the joints in fact wire as reported?  What parts did Patrick send you to do a repair?  Can you describe, even briefly, the repair procedure you were advised to perform?

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Tour Guide
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:36:40 PM »
     I have no experience with Private Island Beauty dolls. I was under the impression that the skeleton joints were either rope or a twine material. If they ever were made like this, the design may have changed over the years.

:-X :-X :-X
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket 1940
Trixie and Dixie "the twins" are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Feodora Set 1 Feodora Set 2 Feodora Set 3 Feodora Set 4

Offline coralsheep91

• Tourist
  • Oldie But Goodie
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:42:55 AM »
Hi coral

Thanks for replying.  But you may regret it because I'm going to load you up with questions ...

What is this 'same' problem you are having?  Have you been "inside" your doll to look at the problem? What joints or "bones" are affected? Are the joints in fact wire as reported?  What parts did Patrick send you to do a repair?  Can you describe, even briefly, the repair procedure you were advised to perform?

I just as soon not air this out on this or any forum.

Send me a PM with your questions and I will try my best to answer them.

If you are seriously Interested in purchasing a PIB, you should call Patrick and visit with him about your concerns.

I believe he is a straight shooter and will answer all of your questions honestly and with more knowledge than anyone about how PIB dolls are made.

Coral

Offline odc061210

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »
np, coral.  I think I understand how you feel about discussing this.

Offline Doc Brown

• Tourist
  • Old enough to play with dolls
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 02:10:36 PM »

This little doll is a knock out and I would really like to own one but, not if the skeleton has not been Improved.

She is but as an example, after all the mess that went on when DS released the Mini, I'd wait a while until some other folks got theirs and report back.  :thumb:

I'm no engineer but it seems to me you can only make something so small and light until the structural integrity suffers.
Hopefully, I'm wrong.
Time will out.