Author Topic: Unplanned outages  (Read 485 times)

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Tour Guide
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
Unplanned outages
« on: April 09, 2017, 01:10:11 PM »
     It has come to my attention that the forums, galleries, and chat rooms on this website experience periodic unplanned outages. Below is a transcript of the exchange between myself and the web host on 7 and 8 Apr 2017:

noquiexis:
     At 8:30PM my website was offline again. I made no changes since the last time I checked the website today. I got:
"Resource Usage Overview
Your site has been limited within the past 24 hours
Virtual memory resources were limited for your site"

The website displays:
"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@arimecibo.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Why is this happening? The website has very little use. I does not need to be "Limited".

There was load spike in the sever and caused the issue and we have fixed it now.

A "load spike" should not lock the website out of access to the MySQL databases, which is what "Limiting" always does. This is not the first time access to MySQL has been denied. Find out what is causing it.

Please be informed that the server in which your account is hosted experienced a load spike earlier due to weekly backup process, which caused the issue.We have managed the load in the server and now your websites are working fine, please confirm it from your end.

This website contains HTML pages, and software in four directories that require access to the MySQL databases (links above1). Whatever happens during these 'spikes' is removing access to the MySQL databases. The HTML pages are not affected.

1 The links that I provided were for the two forums (Arimecibo Island Forum, Magnus Bay Colony Forum, and their respective galleries. The chat rooms also require MySQL access, but I did not see the need to include those links.

:-X :-X :-X
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket 1940
Trixie and Dixie "the twins" are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Feodora Set 1 Feodora Set 2 Feodora Set 3 Feodora Set 4

Offline Haremlover

• Tourist
Re: Unplanned outages
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 11:02:09 AM »
Whenever I've dipped into the forum it's been fine.

Best wishes

Harem

Offline odc061210

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:56:05 AM »
I did experience the 500 errors message.

Disclaimer: I am not currently actively engaged as a server administrator and have not been for more than three years.

Credentials: I have over ten years experience as a webmaster, web server administrator, web server system administrator, and database administrator almost exclusively on various Unix platforms both on physical servers and "in the cloud" and running Apache web servers. My users never reported 500 errors nor were such errors ever reported in the server logs.

Assumption: You, noq, are paying your ISP rather than receiving free hosting.

Observation: I believe it is possible that your hosting provider has configured their resources so that from time to time they may be unable to deliver services to their customers.  If they are like "most" ISPs in the current business environment it is likely that physical resources are shared by several virtual servers.

Snarky opinion: Blaming the outage on a "load spike" sounds to me like "bullshit".  More likely they don't want to admit how close to the resource margin they are operating in order to reduce their costs.  An honest provider would admit that "we aren't geared up to handle peak or near peak loads".  The customer gets what they pay for.  Diogenes wanders by with his lantern continuing his 2400 year search for an honest man.

Rhetorical question: Is there an analog in this situation to the way "some" doll sellers treat their customers?

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Tour Guide
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
odc061210,

You wrote, "Assumption: You, noq, are paying your ISP rather than receiving free hosting."

My Internet Service Provider (ISP) is not the same as the web host for this website. I do have some HTML pages there, but no forum or gallery software. I do agree that the "load spike" sounds like "bullshit". The bottom of the index page reports "Most Online Ever: 13 (March 03, 2017, 03:08:34 PM)". Unless they block access to the entire shared server, this crap should not affect this one-horse website.

Whatever rinky-dink software handles "load spikes", it should not block access to the MySQL databases, which is what knocks the forums, galleries, and chat off. This is the cheapest web service around, as well as allowing Adult content. You get what you pay for.

Now that Our Doll Community is up a running, almost no one posts here anymore. This was always meant to be a backup for ODC, so I expected that.

;) ;) ;)
 Your dreams come true"

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Feodora Set 1 Feodora Set 2 Feodora Set 3 Feodora Set 4

Offline Camp

• Administrator
  • Tourist
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 02:05:38 PM »
I check in occasionally.

Welcome Aboard our Fun Ship

Offline Haremlover

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 07:42:22 PM »
I have a dedicated server hosting some legacy commercial sites and a couple of SMF forums without much traffic either and being a standalone server doesn't have sharing issues. You would be welcome to host on that server if you'd like and if it would be useful, gratis.

Best wishes

Harem

Offline crazycajun

• Tourist
  • Making the world a doll friendlier place
    • Miss Atleur
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
I do visit on occasion, but I haven't been visiting anywhere very often lately, busy with other issues at the moment. I would like to say that I (We all) very much appreciate having arimecibo and magnusbay.  :wavie:
CrazyCajun and the girls

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Tour Guide
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »
     I almost always see someone here as a guest or logged in. I did not mean to imply that no one ever uses the website. No one ever wants to use insurance or a spare tire, but they are nice to have around if you do need them.

;) ;) ;)
 Your dreams come true"

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Tour Guide
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 09:05:29 PM »
     I generally check my e-mail and these two websites first thing in the morning. The HTML portion of the website was operating normally, but any software that needed access to the MySQL databases (forum, gallery, chat) only produced the now-infamous "Internal Server Error". I send another e-mail to WebHostingPad Support about it, then went to take my morning shower. By the time I got back, the website was operating normally.

WebHostingPad Support gave me some bullshit reply that the website was already operating normally. Apparently one of the morning geeks fixed it before this fellow checked in. Either that, or he fixed it and then lied about it being off. he then claimed that my website "exceeded virtual memory" and suggested that I get a "Professional Web Developer" to optimize the scripts.

Below are the dates that I have found access to the MySQL databases blocked by the web host.

June 14, 2017
May 9, 2017
Apr 7, 2017
March 2, 2017
February 7, 2017

Simple Machines Forum, Coppermine Photo Gallery, and Ajax Chat run on websites that have much more traffic than this one-horse operation. I am looking at the possibility of changing web hosts.

:( >:( :(
 Your dreams come true"

Offline odc061210

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 04:59:09 AM »
I've been out of the web and service hosting "business" for a couple of years now.  So my knowledge is stale.  YMMV.  Simple web hosting services capable of supporting something like SMF/Coppermine/Ajax Chat used to go for $5-$15 per month.  You'd need to pay more to "upgrade" for more capacity/storage/bandwidth.  You wouldn't get access to the server where you could actually configure, monitor, and debug your site's use of resources.  But you also didn't have to have deep knowledge about your site's operating system and subsystems (web server, database engine, network stack).  For "a few" more bucks per month, services like Rackspace gave you access to the (virtual) server.  If you experienced an Internal Server Error you'd have the access to investigate it yourself.  But you'd have to get on the phone with the vendor's techies and/or know how to investigate it yourself AND how to fix it yourself.  You get what you pay for.

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Tour Guide
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 07:24:45 AM »
     Since these problems occur regularly, it must be something in the web host's software that blocks access to the MySQL databases. The website cPanel shows "Your site was limited in the past 24 hours" when this happens. The HTML portion of the website never falters. Whenever I e-mail support, they fix whatever their software did so that access to the MySQL databases is restored. In earlier replies, they admitted that something was out of adjustment, and that they fixed it on their end.

I bought one year for the Domain Name and four years of web hosting for just over $100. I may just write off the rest of the cash and start with another web host. I have other plans for the summer and hate to toss more money at something that I already paid for.

:-X :( :-X
 Your dreams come true"

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Tour Guide
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 11:08:05 AM »
     This morning (30 July 2017) the MySQL databases were inaccessible again. This is a screenshot of trying to access the forum, and showing the problem.

Unplanned outage 1

This is a screenshot of the cPanel, showing what caused the problem.

This is the latest excuse I got from the web host:

"Sincere apologies, I could see the 500 internal server error was due to a temporary issue with cagefs of Cloudlinux system. This has been corrected now."

I used to know DOS (Disk Operating System) and I know a little about the Windows Graphic User Interface (GUI) that rides on top of DOS, but I do not know jack about Linux or what "cagefs" might be. All I do know is that the webhost FUBARs this forum once a month.

>:( >:( >:(
 Your dreams come true"

Offline odc061210

• Tourist
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
the 500 internal server error was due to a temporary issue with cagefs of Cloudlinux system. This has been corrected now."
Yeah, sure.
I do not know jack about Linux or what "cagefs" might be.
90 second search: https://docs.cloudlinux.com/cagefs.html
All I do know is that the webhost FUBARs this forum once a month.
You've previously stated that you are not paying "big bucks" for the service
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:41:34 AM by odc061210 »

Offline crazycajun

• Tourist
  • Making the world a doll friendlier place
    • Miss Atleur
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 11:59:28 AM »
It is working for me at 11:56am EST !

@noquiexis:  Hang in there man, I know how you feel. When this stuff works it is great,  8)  and when it doesn't it will make you pull your hair out!  :shocked2:  :cry:

Good move though keeping a log of when it happens. Do you also at least try to keep a log of when it comes back on line? Just wondering!
CrazyCajun and the girls