Author Topic: Helping with sails fundraiser  (Read 18 times)

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
Helping with sails fundraiser
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:03:39 PM »
     Grays Harbor Historical Seaport, owners of the tall ships Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain, is attempting to raise funds to replace the aging sails on their vessels.

"Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain urgently need your help.  {We} need to raise $120,000 for critical repairs and maintenance this summer for these two tall ships. The biggest need we have is new sails. Our old and worn out sails have seen 4000 days of howling wind, bright sun, rainstorms, and salt air. The crew has done their best to repair our existing sails, but after 10 years it is time for a permanent replacement."

"Your gift matters. For just $12 you can replace one foot of sail canvas. The impact of your gift will be felt by the thousands of people who take part in our educational field trips, public sails, workforce development programs and more. Your gift will also sponsor the costs of rigging repairs and upgrading the tall ships' navigation and weather systems."

"Please donate by July 31st to ensure critical replacements and maintenance work can be completed without interfering with our program schedule."

Lady Washington

Hawaiian Chieftain

Donations can be made on the Donor Online page. You can also become a member at any of five levels:
   Sailor level: $25
   First Mate level: $60
   Captain level: $120
   Commodore level: $200
   Admiral level: $325

From FAQs: "Q: Is my donation tax deductible?

A: Yes. GHHS is a designated 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization and your monetary contribution is 100% tax deductible. Memberships are deductible above the value of any gifts included in your membership level.
"

Lady Washington & Hawaiian Chieftain
500 N. Custer St., PO Box 2019
Aberdeen, Washington 98520
800-200-5239
hello@historicalseaport.org

"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket 1940
Trixie and Dixie "the twins" are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Feodora Set 1 Feodora Set 2 Feodora Set 3 Feodora Set 4

Offline odc061210

• Tourist
Re: Helping with sails fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 06:50:55 AM »
Just a rant about donations not being tax deductible any more. It's purely a practical thing. Trump's tax law changes (yeah, yeah - he only signed them) raised standard deductibles and limited the deductibility of state and local taxes. The net effect is that donations are not deductible for me any more unless I start donating tens of thousands of dollars to get my total over the new standard deduction. I suspect there are plenty of people in similar circumstances. I read the news. So I understand that the new tax laws have been a tremendous economic stimulus and I assume that was their intention. But I wonder what the impact has been on charitable donations.

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
Re: Helping with sails fundraiser
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:20:44 AM »
     In point of fact, I do not pay taxes. There are deductions from my pay sources, but the amounts are small and I get them all back when I file my tax returns. Last year I got a whopping $34 back. It is no more than  no-interest loan to the United States government.

I support these various charities because I believe in what they are doing, not to get a tax break. Others may choose what to do with the information that I provide.

;) ;) ;)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket 1940
Trixie and Dixie "the twins" are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Feodora Set 1 Feodora Set 2 Feodora Set 3 Feodora Set 4