Author Topic: Simple Machines Forum ver 2.1 First look  (Read 39 times)

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
Simple Machines Forum ver 2.1 First look
« on: August 19, 2019, 10:59:49 PM »
SMF 2.1 First look

It has been about ten years since I installed the WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL and PHP) on my localhost (home computer). All of that was needed to install the Simple Machines Forum software. At the time, Our Doll Community was running without anyone who really understood the software and how it works. I did not know that it would take me seven bloody weeks to see my first SMF page!

At first I kept up with the WAMP software upgrades, but over time I got lazy. Once this website was online, the only upgrades I needed to apply were for the SMF software. The web host takes care of the rest.

The friendly folks at SMF have been working on a major upgrade, which I have also mostly ignored. I figured I could wait until they have a production model ready. But curiosity got the best of me, so I installed the 2.1 Release Candidate (translate - not ready for prime time) on my localhost. Here are a few screenshots. Right-click on any image to see a larger picture in another tab or window.

First look

Login screen 1

Login screen 2

Logged in for the first time (2 images)

Administration Centre (3 images)

I could have stitched the pictures together, but presenting them without any space gives a general idea of what the web pages look like. The black "X" in the "clicking the Help symbol" is due to a misnamed file. (Picture SMF_2_1_Admin_Centre_1.jpg)

The WAMP is installed on "my" Dell Inspiron 530 (2009 model) with Windows 7. I am so rusty on the WAMP that I used the
WampServer 64 bit package on "Feodora's" Dell XPS 8920 (2017 model) with Windows 10. It still needs a lot of tweaking. All of the software that we run online (SMF, Coppermine Photo Gallery (CFG), and Blueimp's Ajax Chat) had a lot of "Deprecated" errors during installation. The code in those install files has not kept up with the rapid advances in the WAMP software.

It should be noted that CFG up to cpg1.5.48 (last stable release as of 19 Aug 2019) absolutely will not run on PHP7. There is a link to "upgrade" to cpg1.6.03 beta version. The WampServer package comes with three version of PHP7 and one version of PHP5, which I selected (after pulling out some of my hair).

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:11:22 PM by noquiexis »
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket 1940
Trixie and Dixie "the twins" are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Feodora Set 1 Feodora Set 2 Feodora Set 3 Feodora Set 4

Offline noquiexis

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • Sailing on a dream!
    • Five Lines Four Spaces
Re: Simple Machines Forum ver 2.1 First look
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »
     After some consideration, I decided that the WampServer stack was not my cup of tea. It would not allow for installation in any path that had spaces, like "Program Files", nor would it allow underscores, such as "public_html". I uninstalled the package and downloaded the latest versions of Apache and MySQL. I already had several PHP version 5 install archives.

Installing the WAMP on Feodora's Windows 10 computer was painless, but getting it to work together was not. The MySQL Community Server version 8.0.17 (the latest as of 20 Aug 2019) uses utf8mb4 as its default character set. Finding a way to change this to my preferred utf-8 took some digging. Before that, phpMyAdmin could not connect to the MySQL server.

I did get Feodora's WAMP running and installed SMF 2.1rc2 there. Later on I will install Coppermine Photo Gallery and Blueimp's Ajax Chat. I might install Darren's TuFat FlashChat, which Our Doll Community used in the early days.

8) O0 8)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket 1940
Trixie and Dixie "the twins" are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Feodora Set 1 Feodora Set 2 Feodora Set 3 Feodora Set 4